Repair collapsed farm drain and spillway to restore stability to eroded banks and reduce sediment runoff from entering creek below.
Dixons Creek in Yarra Valley Victoria
- 36 square metres
- 1 x 15m roll 2.4m wide
- Underlay geotextile was biodegradable Nutrition mats
- 1 x forklift to offload truck
- 1 x Excavator 13.5 ton
- 1 operator and 2 labourers
- 5 hours start to finish
OUR REF: ACM 0182
An aged 150mm concrete spillway had collapsed into its banks allowing soil and silt to be washed into the creek and waterways. Client required the banks to be stabilised with a system that would allow vegetation to grow and control water flow into the creek without washing the soil away with it.
- Excavator with a mud bucket was first used to add some compactible clay to the gully in 250mm layers.
- Excavator used to shape and compact the soil along the bank with a compaction wheel and by track rolling the bank.
- Excavator used to apply light level of topsoil.
- Excavator used to dig a shallow swale drain in the bank for the water to concentrate in the middle.
- Quick roll over the area with the excavator’s compaction wheel.
- Excavator dug trench on top and along sides of bank to secure mat in place.
- The Flexible Concrete Mats were lifted and shaped into position with excavator.
- Mat edges were trenched into the soil to anchor them, then rolled over with compaction wheel.
- Area was then seeded with grass.
RESULTS & BENEFITS
- Eroded farm drain and spillways are reinforced to allow efficient water flow.
- Encourage vegetation growth into the future, which helps with filtration of sediment and anchoring mat to the slopes
- Hard surface is safer for farmer to maintain the drains.
- Reduce sediment loss.
- Promotes landscape rehabilitation.
- Cost-saving with quick and easy installation.
TOOLS AND EQUIPMENT
- Forklift to move mat from delivery truck to tractor trailer.
- One excavator with mud, tilt, narrow bucket and compaction wheel.
- One excavation operator.
- Mat positioning and seeding of ground done by owner.
EXPLORE MORE PROJECTS WITH CONCRETE EROSION MATS
PROJECT: To create hard stand stable surface around troughs for livestock. LOCATION: Hewitt Station near Alice Springs...
PROJECT: Driveway over soft grass and boggy patches LOCATION: Orange NSW PROJECT STATS: 7 Rolls - 2.4m wide x 10m long...
PROJECT: To repair a dam spillway that was eroding after every rain event. LOCATION: Harpers Creek Road CONONDALE...
PROJECT: Build Boat Ramp for river bank LOCATION: Wheelbarrow Ridge Road LOWER PORTLAND NSW 2756 PROJECT STATS: 72...
PROJECT: Cleanup and protection of Macadamia orchard water channel and drain LOCATION: Rous Mill NSW 2477 PROJECT...
PROJECT: Driveway over sand to tents and for safe beach access LOCATION: Near Gladstone QLD 4680 PROJECT STATS: 1 Roll...
PROJECT: Repair Mountain Bike Trail that had become unsafe due to erosion. LOCATION: Duck Creek Mountain Trail Bike...
PROJECT: Repair drainage slope and eroded area between adjoining buildings. LOCATION: Residential property, Ballina...
PROJECT: Replace Failed Rock Mattresses on overflow channel LOCATION: Gowrie Junction QLD 4252 PROJECT STATS: 209...
PROJECT: Shute Harbour and Seawall LOCATION: Shute Harbour QLD 4802 PROJECT STATS: 156 square metres 54 Cable Block...