Concrete Erosion Mats
Learn about what a concrete mat is and how it works.
What is a concrete mat and its’ features?
The concrete erosion mat is manufactured by Australian Concrete Mats and consists of concrete shapes, interlocked together and embedded into a high strength, polyester geogrid.
There are two versions of the concrete erosion mat. FLEXIBLE or FIRM.
- The space surrounding each concrete shape gives Australian Concrete Mat its flexibility.
- When laid flat the mat will contour to the landscape
- Mat can be secured to slopes up to 60 degrees
- Easily forms around pipes drains and trees
- The openings between the concrete shapes allows vegetation to grow through the mat.
- Vegetation helps to anchor the mat and provides natural absorption and filtration of sediment into waterways.
- Eventually, on the flexible concrete mat version, vegetation will completely cover the mat
- There is a hard surface for vehicular and foot traffic Reduced vehicle bogging and safer to maintain as the mats can be mowed over with commercial mower.
SLOWS DOWN RUNOFF
- The textured nature of the concrete shapes facilitates the slowing down of water as it travels across and around the shapes in the mat. This works especially well when the vegetation has grown through the geogrid spacings.
EASY TO HANDLE ROLLS
- The flexibility of the mats also enables them to be packaged in rolls, making handling and installing the mat quick and efficient
- The mats are manufactured and supplied with a geotextile underlay. Choose from non-woven geotextile to inhibit vegetation growth or biodegradable nutrition geofabric to promote vegetation growth, Select what’s suitable depending on the soil conditions and other factors required for its application.
- There’s a wide range of applications where Australian Concrete Mat is utilized, but it is most commonly used for erosion protection and prevention. The mats are used to protect swale drains, water channels, outlet protection, on slope stabilisation, for embankment protection and many other applications.