Cleanup and protection of Macadamia orchard water channel and drain
Sneaths Lane, ALSTONVALE NSW 2477
- 150 linear metres
- 10 rolls – 2.4 wide x 15m long
- 4 hours start to finish
- 1 x 5 tonne excavator
- 1 operator and 1 labourer
shallow drain between rows in macadamia orchard has begun to erode with the flow of water, cutting a deep channel and beginning of erosion issues. Farmer wanted a long term solution to support the water flow and vegetation growth as well as something that would support vehicles driving on it.
- Excavator leveled and prepared the eroded drain and shaped a channel for water flow.
- rolls of concrete mat were delivered to site and unloaded along the edge of the prepared drain.
- the dain was seeded underneath and mats were supplied with Nutrition mat underlay
- The tractor unrolled the mats into position along the length of the orchard drain
- The mats were laid end to ed and overlapped at the ends for a continuous flow
- End results would be much easier to maintain and reduced erosion of vital top soil in the orchard
RESULTS & BENEFITS:
- Reduce the speed of the water when as it flowed down the orchard drain during heavy rains
- Encourage vegetation growth into the future to allow for the farmer to maintain the drains.
- Reduce sediment loss
- Very efficient with time and resources.
- This project was complete in only 4 hours with minimal labour as well!
- Once laid the mats starts working straight away, with sound long term benefits!